The library offers free fax services. You may also scan and email documents for free.
Home Delivery Service
Our Home Delivery Service allows eligible patrons to have materials selected and delivered by volunteers on a monthly basis. The service is available to those who have a physical barrier to library services including temporary or permanent disability, injury or illness. Delivery is limited to residents who live withing the Rapid City Area Schools district inside Pennington County. There is no cost for this service.
Materials that may be delivered include books, books on CD, magazines, DVDs and e-readers. These materials check out for 6 weeks and may be renewed one time. There are never overdue fines; however, fees for lost or damaged materials will be assessed as necessary.
To register, contact Stephanie at firstname.lastname@example.org or (605) 394-6139 extension 2230.
You may also print an application and mail it to:
RCPL Home Delivery Service
610 Quincy Street
Rapid City, SD 57701
The Rapid City Public Library owns microfilm for local newspapers dating from 1883 forward and includes the following: Rapid City Journal, Indian Country Today, Lakota Times, Gate City Guide, Lakota Nation Journal, and the Black Hills Weekly Journal. If you need other resources, please follow these steps.
- Fill out the Purchase Suggestion form or contact the Rapid City Public Library reference desk at (605) 394-6139 extension 7501. You will need your library card number.
- Microfilm coming from the South Dakota Historical Society must be paid for at Rapid City Public Library before a request is processed. Cost is $8.00 per reel and payment must be in the form of a check to: South Dakota State Historical Society.
- Orders for film from the South Dakota Historical Society require reel numbers. These may be found at the South Dakota Historical Society website. A reference staff member can also assist you with finding the reel numbers by calling (605) 394-6139 extension 7501.
- Microfilm coming from out of state must be prepaid in the form of a check made out to the lending institution. The interlibrary loan staff will contact you and let you know the cost of the film as well as the name of the lending library. If you do not wish to pay the fee, the request can be canceled at that time. You may request that a staff member assist you with locating the fees at the time of a library visit in order to eliminate the need for a second trip to the library.
- All microfilm may only be used within the library.
- The Downtown Library's microfilm machine must be reserved prior to use. To book a session, click here and select up to two hours of available time.
Monday - Thursday 9 AM - 7 PM
Friday - Sunday 10 AM - 6 PM
Stop by the business office to have a document notarized.
You can print, scan, and copy documents on our color printers. Printing costs $0.15 per 8.5"x11" page and $0.30 per 11"x17" page.
We offer a test proctoring service at our Downtown library during library hours. Proctoring costs $20 per test for non-card holders. If you have a Rapid City Public Library card, the fee is waived. Please view our Proctoring information page for more information.